Last Updated in April 2019
1. Information We Collect
We collect information about you that you provide to us when using the Site, such as your name, address, phone number, credit card details, e-mail address, accommodation name, accommodation location and/or length of stay.
By visiting our Site, we may also automatically collect certain usage information, such as your IP address, geographic data, country, search preferences related to specific searches, browser, and information about your device’s operating system, application version, language settings, and pages that have been shown to you. If you are using a mobile device to access our mobile app or mobile optimized Site, we might also collect information that identifies your mobile device, such as the device ID, location of the device (with your consent), and device-specific settings and characteristics.
If you need to get in touch with our customer support team, or reach out to us through other means (such as through social media, or communicating with your accommodation through us), we will collect information from you there too.
Where you submit reviews regarding your accommodation or other ancillary services available on our website through us, we will collect information from you included in your reviews, including your first name and country of residence.
You can decide to participate in our referral programs or other promotions, and doing this will also mean providing us with personal data. In addition to that, you can provide us with feedback or ask for help with using the Sites or our various communications platforms.
Accommodation partners may share information about you with us too – this may happen if you have questions about your pending booking or if disputes arise regarding your booking.
Where required by law, we rely on the following legal bases to process personal information:
- Necessity to Perform Contract with You – we need to process your information in order to provide our travel reservation services to you, answer questions and requests from you, and provide customer support;
- Our Legitimate Interests – we process your information for security and safety; to detect and prevent fraud; to protect and defend the rights or property of others, or our own rights and interests; to customize and provide our reservation travel services to you; and to respond to lawful requests, court orders, and legal process;
- Compliance with Legal Obligations – we need to process your information to comply with relevant laws and regulatory requirements;
- Protect Vital Interest – we may need to process your information in case of emergency involving an individual’s life or health.
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information collected through the Site to:
- Provide you with the requested services, such as creating a user account, processing and confirming your reservation, and communicating with you about services requested (e.g., pre-reservation or post booking chat support (excluding credit card number), special request, cancellations, rewards
- Send you email marketing communications about products and services that may be relevant to you
- Conduct surveys or provide you with information about our services on our Site or on other websites you may visit
- Maintain and improve the Site, tailor the user experience, and for internal training
- Protect the security of you and the Site
- Exercising a right or obligation conferred or imposed by law, including responding to request and legal demands
When you make a reservation on one of our business partners’ websites or apps, we may also receive certain information such as your name and reservation information, including the accommodation reserved, in order to process your reservation and identify which channel your reservation has originated from.
During calls with our customer support team, live listening may be done or calls may be recorded for quality and reference purposes which includes the usage of the recordings for the handling of claims, training and fraud detection purposes. If you would prefer that your call was not recorded, you can opt out by stating this, or by hanging up. Call recordings are kept for a limited amount of time and automatically deleted thereafter, unless ActiveXplorers.com has a legitimate interest to keep such recording for a longer period, including for fraud investigation and legal purposes.
Please note that the confirmation emails and text messages sent after your booking, as well as the guest review emails sent after your departure, are not marketing messages. These messages are part of your accommodation reservation process. Respectively, they contain information for you to check in at your booked accommodation, and tools to optionally rate that accommodation after your stay. You will continue to receive them, even if you have opted out of our marketing messages.
As mentioned above, if you are completing the booking for another person who will stay at the reserved accommodation, you also have the option to insert the guest’s email address for the purpose that the guest will receive the reservation confirmation and a separate invitation to complete a guest review.
Communications on the Site
We offer you and accommodation partners various means to communicate about accommodations and existing reservations, directing the communications through the Site. You can contact us with questions about your reservation or about your accommodation via the Site, and via other channels that we may make available.
We may access communications and may use automated systems to review, scan, and analyze communications for security purposes; fraud prevention; compliance with legal and regulatory requirements; investigations of potential misconduct; product development and improvement; research; customer engagement, including to provide you with information and offers that we believe may be of interest to you; and customer or technical support. We reserve the right to block the delivery of or review communications that we, in our sole discretion, believe may contain malicious content, spam, or may pose a risk to you or, accommodation partners, us, or others. Note, all communications sent or received using the Site’s communication tools will be received and stored by us. Business partners through whose platform you made the reservation and accommodation partners may choose to communicate with you directly via email or other channels that we do not control.
3. Mobile Devices
With your consent, we may send you push notifications with information about your reservation, potential future stays, or as part of any ActiveXplorers.com programs that you participate in, including coupons. You may grant us access to your location information or contact details in order to provide services requested by you. When you upload a picture from your mobile device, your picture may also be tagged with your location information. Please read the instructions of your mobile device to understand how to change the settings and enable the sharing of such information. Different device operating systems may have different default settings, so please familiarize yourself with such settings governing push notifications.
4. Sharing Your Information
In connection with your visit to our Site and use of our services, we may share your information as follows:
- Travel Suppliers such as accommodation properties (e.g., the specific accommodation that you have requested us to reserve), airline, car rental, insurance, and, where available, activity providers, who fulfil your travel reservations. These suppliers may contact you as necessary to obtain additional information about you, facilitate your travel reservation, or respond to a review you may submit in accordance with their own independent privacy policies.
- Third Party Service Providers who provide data processing services to us (for example web hosting), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes such as credit card and payment processing, business analytics, customer service, marketing, or distribution of surveys, to facilitate the delivery of online services and advertising tailored to your interests, and/or fraud prevention. Our third party service providers will only process information as needed to perform their functions. They are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Business Partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be offered on our Sites. You can tell when a third-party business partner is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear, either alone or with ours. If you choose to access these optional services, we will on occasion share your personal information with those partners. An example of a business partner would be a third-party loyalty program that you will earn points for, through a booking.
- Our Affiliated Group Companies – our affiliated (group) companies’ employees who have access to this information with our permission and who need to know or have access to this information to perform the service requested by you (including customer services) and internal (audit/compliance) investigations.
- Where Required or Permitted by Law – such as to protect ourselves against liability, to respond to subpoenas, judicial processes, legitimate requests, warrants or equivalent by law enforcement officials or authorities, to investigate fraud or other wrongdoing or as otherwise required or necessary in order to comply with applicable law, protect our legitimate interests or to the purchasers in connection with any sale, assignment, or other transfer of all or a part of our business or company. We may also, in compliance with applicable law, disclose your information to enforce or apply the terms and conditions applicable to our services or to protect the rights, property, or safety of ActiveXplorers.com, our users, or others.
- Business Reorganization – such as part of any sale, assignment or other transfer of our business, or transition of service to another provider. We will ask for your consent if required by applicable law.
5. Opting Out of Marketing Communications from Us
You can opt out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by using the “Unsubscribe” link in each newsletter or communication.
6. Information from Other Partners
On occasion, affiliated entities, business partners, or other third party providers may share information with us. One example is if you access or sign in to our Site through social media, such as Facebook Connect, we may collect information from you such as your username, and other information made available to us via such services. In general, your ability to provide such information is through the service provider themselves and you can change those settings in your account settings of the relevant service provider. In general, we may work with our partners to improve and personalize your use of our website in accordance with this policy.
7. Protecting Your Information
We maintain reasonable physical, electronic, and organizational security measures to protect your information against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, or unauthorized disclosure or access. We use Secure Socket Layer technology to encrypt credit card information during transit. Through your personal account, you also have the ability to save credit card details for faster future bookings and payments. Your card details are encrypted and you can always log in to your personal account to delete, edit, or add certain credit card details. For security reasons, the number cannot be edited (but the card details can be deleted). When viewing card details, only the last 4 digits of the number will be visible. Please note that we will store the last 4 digits of your credit card securely upon any booking made (this is required to manage any refund requests for that booking).
8. How You Can Access or Change Your Information
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to exercise any of the following rights:
- Access: You are entitled at any time to obtain information about your personal information that we store, in accordance with applicable law and without any fee. However, in exceptional cases we ask you to pay reasonable fees before we provide the information if permitted by applicable law.
- Rectification: You may request that we rectify any of your personal information that is incomplete or incorrect.
- Deletion: You may request that we delete your account.
- Restrictions of Processing: You may ask us to cease processing of your personal information for example if you have objected to the processing and the existence of legitimate grounds is still under consideration.
- Objection: You may object, at any time, to your personal information being processed for direct marketing purposes.
- Right to Revoke Consent: You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of our processing based on such consent before it was withdrawn.
Data Portability: If applicable, you may request us to send you your personal information which we store, in a commonly used and machine readable format which shall be decided at our sole discretion.
To protect your privacy and security, we will verify your identity before responding to such request, and your request will be answered within a reasonable timeframe. We may not be able to allow you to access certain personal information in some cases e.g. if your personal information is connected with personal information of other persons, or for legal reasons. In such cases, we will provide you with an explanation why you cannot obtain this information. We may also deny your request for deletion or rectification of your personal information due to statutory provisions, especially those affecting our accounting processes, processing of claims, for fraud detection or prevention purposes, and mandatory data retention, which may prohibit deletion or anonymization.
10. Links to Third Party Websites
11. Additional Considerations
A Special Note About Minors
Our Site is not directed to minors under the age of 18. However, minors can normally accompany their parent(s) or legal custodian(s) who have booked an accommodation, unless prohibited by an accommodation property’s policies.
15. Contacting Us